It's A Long, Long Road....

Time for a work update I think. Once again I have reneged on my promise to post at least once a week but, in my defence your Honour, access is restricted to social networking and blog sites and what with the travel meaning it's more or less a twelve hour day door-to-door so it's as and when I get a spare few minutes....

So, what's been happening at work? Getting to grips with the information requests - tick. Special projects still ongoing - tick. Getting on with my colleagues - tick. I am getting positive noises from my boss and get the impression that she thinks she s very lucky to have me in the role. Now if I an just shrink my head back down to get through the door....

The company 'grab and go' information pages have been tested and agreed, and these will all go up this week. My colleague is orchestrating this - the powers of delegation! Following on from a meeting with staff in the team I revamped the proposed shared drive reorganisation report and re-sent it to my manager - it weighed in at 31 pages and took her three-quarters of an hour to wade through today. I got a great email from her thanking me for all the effort and saying what a thorough job I had done. The upshot is that it looks like we are 90% there for kicking off the project, and I have to present a proposal to the team meeting in a couple of weeks....

The Birmingham visit went ahead last Wednesday and it was very enlightening to learn more about what goes on at one of the contracts; I now have a contact that I can pester for case studies for our collection to support work on other projects. This has led me to become case study author and put together a couple of them for my Brum contact to check and approve....

I have been teaching myself Visio to do some diagrams to show alternative IT structures for the proposed archive library/database, and I have my wonderful MA professors to thank for giving me such an excellent grounding in database creation and structure all those years ago; without this, I would never be able to get my head around the whole shooting match....

Finally, I have started working on collating metadata for an image library; at the moment we have thousands of photos on the shared drive in folders that are difficult to search on; you have to go to a particular folder and browse. So I have set up an Excel spreadsheet to start recording keywords and attributes on each. At some point they will have o be moved to a database and it would be great if the metadata was already waiting. I am sure that a lot of the photos can be archived as some of the photos are virtually identical but it's the work of seconds to copy and paste to another row....

I have a progress meeting tomorrow. I am feeling quite positive about it....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire