We're Jammin'....

About time I had a work update I suppose. It's been a bit busy and I had an interesting drive to work that involved a number of road closures and diversions but still got in early. Had a discussion with my boss who has suggested I start and finish 30 minutes earlier which may just work for the journey home....

More project work to do, as well as the day-to-day stuff. The hard copy archive report is with the management team and I am awaiting the next step on that one. I hope that it is a suitable solution to what is a very straight-forward problem.....

I finished the report on the system for populating an archive database of previous bids and contracts; the upshot is that, instead of using two systems to populate two databases we should be able to push a set of information from the one through two different 'displays' of information. There was some monies earmarked for another, now redundant project, so the hope is we can recycle it in this way. It certainly would be an excellent coup for us....

the other big chunk of work is the reorganisation of a shared drive that, at the moment, verges on anarchy. What I thought would be quite a straightforward report has now gone on to 22 A4 pages of 10 point font and I reckon I am about 75% through. Once again, this has involved going through each folder, sub-folder and document in turn to evaluate its worth in the current system and whether the current folder structure is adequate. It needs a bit of work, put it that way....

Finally, what looked on the face of it to be a one-hour job turned into an all-day quest as my colleague and I looked for a solution for re-packaging company-related links and information into a 'grab and go' style document that would enable people to fill in about 70% of pre-qualifying tender documents (the first stage for any bidding process) without having to search elsewhere for the information. In order to preserve quality and currency of the information we have we have to link to the source documents rather than re-package the actual information. We developed a way of using inline frames within a html document which involved a fair bit of tweaking, especially when we couldn't cross-reference the separate documents until we had loaded them into the live DMS....

All good fun. I'm really enjoying being back at work. Someone who has been on holiday until this week, and who I met for the first time on Monday, said that she had heard good things about me 'on the grapevine' so I guess I am making the right sort of impression.....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire